Monday, March 1, 2010

Not Being Lazy

I'm going to expose an area of my life where I may have been lazier once, but have since been educated and am decidedly not lazy now...

I'm getting a little fired up. I'm reading a blog discussion involving some parents' outrage over having to submit to background checks in order to volunteer at their kids' school. That's not the policy at my kids' school but I wouldn't have a problem if it was. Those of you who know me personally know that the issue of child sexual abuse is a hot button issue of mine and I am wondering what you all think about this.

(join a discussion about this on my community here)

I think just the act of the school requiring the background check sends a strong message to the community that they take the issue of child sexual abuse seriously and the kids are safer for it. I am a believer in checking out EVERY adult that comes into contact with my kids. This may or may not include a background check.

The fact is that 1 in 5 kids will be sexually abused before they reach 18 (http://www.darkness2light.org/KnowAbout/statistics_2.asp). Checking out the backgrounds of the adults in contact with our kids, and submitting to such checks ourselves, is just one step towards lowering that statistic and making sure our kids don't become a part of it. Here is a great resource for learning some other steps we can take:
http://www.darkness2light.org/7steps/7steps.asp

This isn't about fearmongering or paranoia. It's about being realistic and empowering ourselves with knowledge so we don't have to be naive or paranoid.

Thought you all might wonder what things I pursue that keep me from cleaning and organizing... This is one.

5 comments:

  1. Even if the school doesn't follow through on a full (and typically costly) background check, just the up front signing of permissions to have one performed is a) a deterrent and b) more than acceptable policy for a school to have. These are after all our children we're talking about... there shouldn't be any reason not to go through the extra steps to insure their safety! Any adult wanting to work with children who would be "outraged" by this type of policy and action would leave me suspicious of the persons motives for wanting to volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Although I homeschool, there will always be areas where I want background checks. Summer camp, for example. If you have nothing to worry about, why worry about having to have one done. It doesn't stain your reputation.
    I think though the most important thing a parent can do is talk to their kids. No matter what lengths we go to, there are predators among our children. It's our job to educate our children about what's appropriate touch and listen to them. Listening to them talk about Curious George opens the way for them to talk about somebody making them feel "funny". I'm glad you are talking about this.

    BTW, I saw your post on dressing kids alike on the Mckmama forum. Hilarious response. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is such a great thing to blog about. So many parents want to pretend that it couldn't ever happen to their kids, but it can and it does... Thank you for putting this out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To volunteer with children at my very large church, you have to complete a full background check and send in reference forms. Everyone from greeters, teachers, etc. ANYONE with contact with kids has all their information on file. If you aren't willing to do that, they do not let you volunteer. We also have to wear Tshirts showing that we are volunteers so parents know exactly whose who. Schools should be the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Pastor's wife, anything that involves children requires background checks at our church. My husband also runs our kids camp every summer and all leaders are required to have a background check run as well. I'm glad to see schools getting on board with this. You can never be too careful.

    ReplyDelete